Thursday, March 11, 2010

Just a Warning...


It’s been a slippery slope on my new ADHD behavior. Only a mere 3 months ago things were so different for me. I could sit down, watch television or go to dinner and have a complete evening …without looking at my cell phone. Now, what started out as an innocent upgrade to manage my small business more effectively, it has now fully become an addiction to social networking/media and all the jewels of a Blackberry. No longer can I sit though a segment of my favorite television shows without checking something on my phone. I text my best friend throughout the day as if we have an open telephone line that never shuts off. We text each other everything, not because we think the other cares or what we are saying is important or interesting, we just are addicted. Straight up addicted. I have also grown friendships out of my texting. Some people on my blackberry messenger I used to only share a small smile at on the street, but now we “chat” daily about anything and nothing. We have become better friends.
At first when I noticed how bad my addiction was, I was alarmed. I thought I should maybe curb it, set some rules and boundaries with it. But, truthfully I don’t care, I love it, maybe it’s a phase and Ill grow out of it. Who knows, but I am also aware that I am 29, and I don’t want to get left behind in technology either. I think it’s important to stay on top of what’s happening in the world and around me. Gotta go with the flow, especially if you are running a business these days.
But this is only a warning, perhaps you do not care to stay on top of technology or the worldly happenings, I respect that, I get that. But I’m just saying back in the 90s people were all wierded out and skeptical of the internet, and now that has fully intergraded into our lives in one way or another. So who is to say how social networking will evolve. Blogs have already changed how we view and get our news sources. It’s changed my advertising for my business. A simple Facebook upload of pictures or a “tweet” reaches my market and I see results immediately. I don’t know if social networking is a good thing for human beings, but its happened, its here, I don’t see the point in really fighting it. But there are some simple rules I should be outlined
1. Never interpret a certain “tone” in texts. For example, a friend responds to a dinner invite with “no Im busy”. Don’t snap back assuming she was being ungrateful, she may have been on her way to the hospital with a boyfriend who just broke his leg, and when she reveals that you are gonna feel dumb.
2. If you are out for dinner or drinks with real live people in your company…crazy I know…leave your phone in your pocket on vibrate, don’t check it unless the opportunity arises that won’t make the other people feel less important. Check it after or in the bathroom. I struggle with this rule myself.
3. Don’t use texting to do important things like, break up with a person or asking someone to be your bridesmaid, or thank them for letting you stay at there house. Use your manners on this one. Don’t text your boss either, voicemails!!
4. You don’t have to update your status every 2 minutes, or if you update about dumb or negative shit as well people will probably “hide” your or “unfollow” you.

I guess Im just saying that social networking is fucking crazy, be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment