Monday, July 6, 2009

Kids these days, good luck to 'em.


What the fuck is with this surge in unprofessionalism? What the fuck are they teaching kids in high school these days. I say forget the goddamn calculus and teach these little shits some life skills, like HOW TO GET A JOB. I have lost count this spring and summer of how many young kids have come in here asking for a job in dirty clothes or facebooking me for a job. Its out of control and to me, very very telling about the next generation that is coming up after mine.
Sorry to pull the ol' "Back in my day" shit, but... BACK IN MY DAY, finding a job was as annoying as it was degrading. BUT pounding the pavement in my dress pants at 14, 16, 18, 21, etc sure taught me the ways of "how it is and how it should be".
I meekly and shamefully marched into places of potential emplyment in nice clothes and with a resume ready to firmly shake a hand because thats what was shoved down my throat and I understood it was out of respect for my potential employer.
This spring I have now seen teenagers and 20 somethings walk in with messy clothes and blurt out, "are you hiring? oh ya eh, hmm, well, do you know anyone that is hiring? oh sure thanks, fine bye". Or I got a handful of Facebook messages, "hey what up can you give me and job, getting a job is sooo hard eh, Ill work for you".
WHAT!!!!!!!???????
Kids, please, listen here, this is how you get a job:
1. Put on something really nice, not a ball gown, but a nice oufit
2. Print off a steller resume and cover letter that is addressed to ME.
3. Have an older experienced job hunter look it over
4. Walk into a place, head high and look the manager in the face and say "I would love to work here, please take this resume, call me at your convienience"
5. Call a week later and follow up.

See, yes it takes some balls, but this small life step will prepare you for many many other things in life that you are going to need balls for, trust me.

The Fernie JobSeekers office is located across from the Vogue Theatre. They can help you with your resume, interviewing techniques and prepardness for FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment