Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Picnic Brings the Passion



I so totally went right up and down the menu at Picnic (Of course I did! Its me!). After basking in the new chic spot of Fernie for wine the opening night, I promptly returned the following night for a proper dinner experience. (Sidenote – wine list is GREAT, Thank goodness we have a wine list like that downtown Fernie now! Whew!)
Arriving at the Livery conjures up many old memories for me, but something tells me by pulling open this wooden dream door, I will be shaking my head to remember them. Walking up the stairs to the top floor is twilight lit and inviting. The brick wall and wood steps carry you up to the sounds of beaming socializers and the smells of masterpieces. Simplicity and sex appeal. You land at the top of the stairs to a glowing, yet enigmatic awaiting lounge. Crimson booths line the back original brick walls that are steeped in Fernie history. I almost half expected a seductive vampire to be smirking back at me from the corner booth. A long lustrous custom dinner table lays down the middle of the room invoking tranquility and togetherness. The bar runs parallel with heavy bar stools that frankly say “sit down and let me get you’re a scotch”. Tara Higgin's art piece on the back wall ties in the simple sexy modern feel.
To the left is the dining room. Gorgeous. Taking the chance to sit at the table with ceiling to floor windows and the oversize velvet chairs was an instant choice for my guest and I - in which we felt like royalty there all night. Our server was quiet, maybe a little too meek for what Im used to in a town where you know everyone.
We started the night with a bottle of the Black Widow Gewürztraminer. After rich reds and spicy holiday drinks this was the perfect answer for this post holiday dinner. We took a sampling of the “Picnic” menu instead of the appetizers. The cured beef tenderloin and the marinated fennel was such a sparkling treat with our wine. Everything about it was right, not too salty, not too pretentious. The cured meats and goat cheese were making love! For dinner we had the “Happy Chicken” out of default as they did not have the Bison Short Rib in yet, which I was really excited about, so it was more like “Bummer Chicken”. Quickly I forgot about the bison, Farkas done good; the chicken, its jucies and the spices were dancing the happy dance. It danced on a bed of curious noodle things, Ill call them little passion nuggets right now, because they were just divine. The dark savory and sweet jus was the best part of the dish. I wish they gave just a tinsy bit more though. A smear of sweet potato to accompany the chicken finished the plate. Simply amazing!! The Gewürztraminer’s dry spicy notes were the perfect match for all our choices. If you don’t like taking chances or trying interesting items, get the chicken because it was fairly straightforward amazing chicken, nothing too crazy here. But the rest of the "Prinipals" described reads like a feast for kings. You must give it the one-two and order like its your last meal.
We followed with the espresso chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream. Cake was knee-weakening, but the ice cream was the orgasm of that plate. Dessert choices were fairly predictable, aside from the poached port pear however; and if I liked port I would have tried that. Expresso and chocolate are a weakness for this happy lady.
I wrapped up the night with a glass of the Forty Creek whisky. The smooth, bold vanilla and oak golden goodness went down my throat one small sip at a time as I lounged over candlelight taking in the whole restaurant’s sensual delights for the overall experience. The people behind this project have passion, it shows and I could feel it there that night. Congratulations, welcome to Fernie and Ill be seeing you soon again!

Food: 4.5/5
Service: 4/5
Atmosphere: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment