Monday, January 11, 2010

Word Association


When you hear the name Cranbrook, do you think Walmart? Thrift Store? Dollarama?
Well, I do.
Today I was in Cranbrook and before I got the hell out of there I stopped in at "Twice is Nice", a second hand goldmine by Cloverdale Paint on "the strip". Even tho that place is seriously overpriced, there were some serious finds! I nabbed a circa 1992 Gap purple suede jean jacket. Its like it was there waiting for me. Eerie.
On top of that I got a bunch of over little things and haggled the overall total down 25%. Sweet.

Here is my Secondhand Guide to Cranbrook:

1. Salvation Army Thirft Store
Take a Right at 7Eleven, then your first left after you cross the tracks.
This a pretty big thrift store. I have found countless items that I adore; like the big red velvet "Beetlejuice" looking armchair for $15 and many envied pairs of vintage sunnys. Prices are totally cheap and good selection of everything.

2. Hospital Auxillery Thrift Store
Just a couple doors down from the "Sammy" Downtown Cranbrook. All the ladies in there are soooo lovely and cute. This place has always been a score for costume stuff and hot dog day material. I also remember the day I found and bought my 1980s peach ghetto blaster. That was a fun day, the ghetto blaster is on display at Freyja and people try and buy it all the time.

3. Church Lady Hole-in-the-Wall
This place is tucked away in the "Speciality Lane" mini mall thats across the parking lot from Safeway, if you are looking at the front doors of Safeway then Speciality Lane is to the right. I remember going to this place as a kid, I hated it, but in high school when we all when through our Seattle Grunge phase we raided this place for amazing grandpa cardigans and old school adidas track jackets. From then on this place has always held a place in my shopping heart. The ladies in there are nice, but kinda treat you like you musta taken a wrong door cuz the place is crawlin with cauliflower heads.

4. Page's Book Emporium
On Baker Street, been there for eons. I LOVE this place. It hasnt changed AT ALL since I was a small Sweet Valley High reader. There is decent selection, you save at least 50% on books, lots of old and bestsellers. Everytime I see the giant stack of "Hes Just Not That Into You" books I mentally note it so I can tell girls where to get that book cheap. I always walk outta there is something, today I walked out with a newer version "500 of the Best Poems" for $8. Cool.

5. FunHogs
Ahh this place cracks me up sometimes for what people are trying to get money for. This is a used sports equipment consignment store. I can just picture the old stodgy redmeck that brings in those ancient well used 1970s xc skis and skates and wants $$$ for them. Thats what happens here. There are still some good things, but I think for what your getting half the time, you're better to buy new.

6. Pippins
Across from Cranny City Hall and down from the Catholic Church. This place is great if you're a chruch lady and you actually think you are saving money buying someones else's crap.

7. Consignment Store beside SAVE-ON-FOODS and the government liquor store.
Same description as Pippins.

8. Twice is Nice Antiques and Clothing
Ahh this place is jsut plain fun and for what it is, its done the best of all the stores mentioned above. However, it is a bit expensive. For example, my suede jacket was priced at $34 and I saw a mexican sambaro for $50. Fack. But its a fun shopping experience.

9. Random Antique shop on Baker Street just down from Boarders Choice.
I went in there once years ago and wasnt impressed. Maybe something will call you to though. Seemed affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment