Monday, September 6, 2010

No Food For You - Come Back Next Season


Trust me, I was waaaay more mad then I am now, but because my vintage 2004 laptop takes 2 hours to start up, Ive had some time to cool off.

But still, WHAT... THE.... FUCK!

Its the last long weekend of the summer, last big weekend to milk the tourism, a morning after derby...and you cant get breakfast in Fernie.

WE drove to Blue Toque - Closed, Old E - Closed, Red Tree - Closed, Smittys - over hour wait, Park Place - Only one server for full resto, hour wait for food at least, Mugshots - not one empty table, massive lineup, Tim Hortons - 15 car lineup.

HUH?????

Im sorry but with all the Calgarians and Tourists and Locals, places closed for business on the Holiday Monday?????

We cry and cry that our dry seasons are soooo dead and yada yada yada, but you choose to not make money this past Monday????

Not only are all these tourists leaving with THIS as their final impression of Fernie, but dont fucking cry when its dead this fall and you have no customers. Its the nature of the beast of this town you gotta make your money when you can.
What a lovely little "fuck you" that was to everyone visting our town for the weekend. "Hey thanks for choosing us and not the USA or Banff or Whatever - thanks for spending your cash here and all , but ya you gotta wait an hour for a coffee to hit the road, oh and ya, no breakfast for you either, Sweet thanks see you next time you're back!!"

You gotta think, maybe they closed cuz its never really busy for them and they cant afford staff all summer for just a handful of busy weekends. What a stupid vicious cycle this town is in. We want tourism, but we dont have enough to operate properly so -now we just have this half-assed tourism.

PFFFFFFFFT.

what a shitty holiday Monday morning.

Schoolyard hungry nom nom nom

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya at the Toque. I tried holidays, busy angry bossy tourists. Not a local anywhere.

    I have to pay double time and a half plus add extra staff so to break even I need 175 people to walk through my door. Not possible.
    I did it for awhile as a community service, cost me money + aggreivation. It did not translate into greater local loyalty.

    I cannot afford to stay in business and do holidays. Larger places with salaried employees may have other reasons. It's not like retail where one staff can handle the hoards, in restaurants more people = more staff @ time plus time and a half. I've posted my hours online and on my door stating we are closed stat holidays for a year now.

    I'm sorry your morning sucked. We didn't come to this decision lightly. Sadly it's where nationals and francises excel in small communities they have the budget to absord these costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Tanya, I pretty much figured that was the case. So many people in Fernie are passionate about supporting the mom and pop shops and not the franchises. I completely understand where you guys are coming from, just so frusterating that Fernie can be busy enough to support what we really love.

    hope you did enjoy your weekend, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete