Monday, February 9, 2009

Feb 14th



Valentines Day is fast approaching. Some find the tradition old, dated and anti-climatic.
Some still keep things old school and enjoy an excuse for romance. It’s up to you what you choose to do with it. My most memorable Valentines Days don’t even have anything to do with romance. In my early 20s I completely turned my nose up to the thought of such a ridiculous tradition that only makes women feel inadequate and left out. But as I grow older and wiser, I’m learning that I can’t ignore my inner romantic.

I recently purchased a women’s magazine. I picked that particular one out because it’s Canadian and I usually enjoy the content and the girly articles. This month’s edition naturally contained many pages of Valentines Day propaganda. The fashion spread of the month was lingerie. Polka dots, lace, safari prints, all sorts of lingerie for every hearts desire. I decided to take a random Fernie poll of all the men that I encountered that day. I showed them the lingerie spread and asked them to pick their favorite kind of lingerie. I was really getting inside the Fernie man’s head! By a landslide the black lacey lingerie won.
But after careful consideration of obtaining this information, it really got me thinking.
I started to recall my own personal Valentines Day encounters with men, which I’ll be honest, was all of 3 times. I have been single for every other Valentines Day in my adult life.
Schoolyard’s Experiences:
2000. I spent hours getting ready and truly putting 100% effort into looking fabulous for the lucky man in my life, motivated by the thought he would be happy with my appearance and the night would be fantastic. I was a virgin so I was rewarded with dinner and a movie. Ahh those innocent times!
2001. I spent hours getting ready and truly putting 100% effort into looking fabulous for the lucky man in my life, motivated by the thought he would be happy with my appearance and the night would be fantasic. I was rewarded with him playing “The Sims” on my computer while I anxiously awaited our date. After 6 hours, I put on my pajamas and crawled into bed and dozed off watching “Survivor”.
2005. I spent hours getting ready and truly putting 100% effort into looking fabulous for the lucky man in my life, motivated by the thought he would be happy with my appearance and the night would be fantasic. I was rewarded with a standardized Valentines Day gift from chocolate shop (I got the same thing for Christmas too) left on my porch as he went to party in Calgary with the boys.

Those experiences left me feeling inadequate and left out on romance.

Certainly no other woman is as pathetic as me. That is until you get a group of women together with bottles of wine and the stories of pathetic romance start spilling out like we are all trying to top each other.
I haven’t been around a long time, but a common theme that creeps around all the women in my life, whether they are long gone or still on my speed dial, is the lack of satisfaction in Fernie.

Some LOL Fernie Relationship Stories I’ve Heard:
1. A good friend of mine told me about an argument she had with her boyfriend about the lack of romance he brought to the relationship, his response “Look, I’m a good boyfriend, I don’t hit you and I don’t cheat!!”
2. One girl got dumped hearing the phrase “We have to break up, I need to concentrate on my music”
3. This girl was upset when her boyfriend left her at the bar, he said “Why are you mad? You knew how bad I always wanted to have a threesome”
4. “But babe, when you met me I did a lot of drugs, you knew that, I’m not going to change for you”, said to one of the most beautiful nicest girls I’ve ever met in real life.
5. One girlfriend of mine dated a Fernie guy for 9 months. Around the 6 month mark he lost interest in sex, soon after on Christmas he gave her a viberator.


Us women, take our man’s satisfaction seriously. We truly enjoy and revel in the idea that we can keep our man satisfied and coming back night and day for more. We want our man to be happy, but also, we need to be happy too.

There is a myth out there in the media and among men that women don’t want sex as much as they do. But I really beg to differ. I know women want it more.
Of all the women that have opened up to me about their sex lives (which has been many different women from all walks of life and ages), I can honestly say that the women in Fernie want sex more then the men. They want it all the time! They can’t get enough, and the men are getting a failing grade on keeping their women happy.

We drive ourselves crazy to get it, and more importantly, keep it. And when all of our antics fail (Brazilians, lingerie, doing favors we don’t get in return - you know what I’m saying), and our men leave us for greener pastures, it really fucks up our heads. We get neurotic, we develop eating disorders, we color our hair, we bring our hang-ups on to the next guy and we laugh in the face of chick flicks. We figure romance is dead and we wave our white flag in defeat.

Women put sooooo much work into their appearance. We want to look great and feel great, and honey, it takes a lot. When is the last time you men have waxed your balls? Joined Bikini Bootcamp or lived off rice cakes and cigarettes?
I hate to say it, but a lot of our motivation for looking so dame fine is because we are seeking the validation of a man. Whatever your reason is, self esteem, status, companionship or just plain sex, we like men and we like sex.

Are we in crazy town? How did this happen? Why aren’t men pining for our attention and showering us with gratitude that we even let them reach 2nd base. Shouldn’t we be demanding more? Why aren’t we? Ohhhh the madness we have let this escalate too! Stop the craziness and demand better, you are so fucking worth it. And if demanding more leads your man to turn to some random Fernie tramp, well, he wasn’t worth it in the first place.

So in closing, with this Valentines Day around the corner, before you run out and buy sexy lingerie and book a Brazilian wax, think about it. Is he worth it? Will he notice? Will you get what you so totally deserve in return?
Romance isn’t dead ladies. My mom always says, “You have to teach people how to treat you”. If your man makes you feel like you are camouflage on the sheets, you MUST make some changes and it most likely doesn’t start with sexy lingerie.

Ps. My dad buys my mom flowers once a month and they have been married 30 years. Maybe they just don’t make ‘em like they just to..

Oh one day my prince will come…..

2 comments: