Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Schoolyard is Pulling Her Hair Out....

There is just something so cringe worthy about Facebook statuses.
I just cant help feeling a twinge of embarrassment for my “friends” when they update their current status as something rather negative, nasty or just plain sad. I can’t entirely place my finger on it, but there’s just something really tacky about it. Sure, everyone is allowed to have a bad day, I’m no Stepford wife, but really, when I read “So-In So is tired of playing the game” or “So-In So just wants everyone to fuck off”. I feel icky icky poo poo for them. Does everyone need to know this? Facebook is vast, you’ll be hard luck to find a Facebooker that limits there page to just closest friends and family. When you state such a negative status, lots of random people see it. Doesn’t that concern or embarrass you?
Maybe I’m too harsh but it’s that fine line of what society sees and accepts and what leaves a room awkward in silence. TMI. (Too much information in cyber talk)
One on my best friends and I actually have an inside joke about a mutual friend we both see on Facebook consistently updating her status to the most cringe worthy, roll-my-eyes status regarding her lack of love life, or whatever love strife she is having that day. We actually LOL and point and once it was so bad and embarrassing I emailed my friend to go look at it. Naturally you get a few pity givers leaving a few comments like “whats up?” or “don’t worry, you rock guuurl!”. Ahhh keep that shit to yourself. Seriously. Facebook is so outta hand, people take it far too personal and subject their inner world, their thoughts, feelings, relationship drama to the masses of their “friends”. Stop the madness!!! Your personal life is personal, the whole town does not need to know that your ex boyfriend is a dick or that you are having a fight with another friend in which you try to appear that you are taking the “high road” with some quirky remark like “So-In So is looking to the future and not the ugly past”. Blah!!!
I see many of my “friends” on Facebook having these ridiculous updates and the thing is, I don’t know most of them well enough to message them a “oh call me and we can talk”, or “what’s wrong hun?”. I just cringe and move on quickly.
Once a concert promoter added me as a friend. I completely do not know him but I accepted his friend request so I could see his profile and messages for what concerts were coming up. But instead, I followed his status for a few months by accidently reading it on my News Feed everyday. He was super happy one day and right pissed off the next and on to so depressed that I actually recall it saying something about him “not deserving to have love in his life”. I shouldn’t scoff at his heartbreak, but come on buddy soooo inappropriate and unprofessional. I deleted him soon after. I also had a high school girl as a friend who is from a rather prominent family in town, her status one day was something to the effect “girls call me a slut, well shove that cum down your throat bitch”. I was mortified for her. I deleted her. Icky.
When I see these people in real life I politely say “Oh hey how’s it going”, even though I just read my New Feed and in my head I’m thinking , “oh ya you got kicked outta your apartment for partying too much and your cat is your only friend, please don’t talk to me about this!!” And they reply “ohh things are good, and you?”, disclosing nothing because they don’t know me that well and once applied for a job where I worked. These people have way more balls on a laptop then in real life I find.

Its amazing to me how Facebook has captivated our lives right to the very core. I had a very good girlfriend call me very very upset. She had JUST broken up with her long term boyfriend. But instead of her calling me to analyze and discuss it, she called me in distress asking if she could come over and use my computer ASAP. I said “sure, why?”, and she replied “because I HAVE to end the Facebook relationship first, cuz if I login tomorrow and he did it before me I will feel like I lost, I need him to logon and see I ended it first!!”
Wow. True, logging in to a computer to see that the once love of your life “officially” ended it, that would suck, that would be salt in the wound for sure.
As if this is even happening!!!?? Right? Am I on crazy pills? How did we let this happen? Are relationship and marriage counselors scrambling how to deal with this new psychological craziness that now is an important part of our individual existence on this planet?
Very recently I also had a nice sit down chat with a lovely girl. She disclosed to me that she had met a great guy, the whole package, however, they just had their first fight, and it wasn’t going good since. I asked, “Oh my, what happened??” She continued to tell me that she asked him to change his relationship status on Facebook to “in a relationship” from his current “single” status. He didn’t want to and she was very offended. She thought “Doesn’t he want the world to know he is not single anymore??? Cuz he isn’t? Right??” She was left doubting if he was a faithful guy, because to the masses he was “single”.
I do see her point, but again FACEBOOK HAS GOTTEN TOO PERSONAL.
Dating status should have NEVER been an option on Facebook. Everyone is on crazy pills now. But that’s just the way it is, we let it get out of control and now on top of all the shit we human beings have to deal with in this lifetime, we have gone ahead and added a new element to deal with.
What’s next, GPS tracking on our cell phones? Oh shit!! That is happening!
**pulling my hair out
I’m highly annoyed and tsk’ing my finger at all of you that expose me to your personal thoughts, feelings, and drama that is not society friendly. They had something right in the 50’s, keep your shit behind closed doors.

My status today “Schoolyard is eating ramen noodles and fucking loving it”. Updated at 3am Feb 25th 2009.
( see how even that is too personal? From that you can tell I got home drunk from the bar and completely through out my new beach bod regime)

No comments:

Post a Comment