Monday, June 22, 2009

Police chiefs want ban on driving with cell phones


Police chiefs want ban on driving with cell phones
Updated: Thu Jun. 18 2009

ctvbc.ca:
British Columbia police chiefs are asking for an outright provincial ban on drivers using cell phones and other mobile devices while on the road.
The B.C. Association of Chiefs of Police passed a resolution Thursday calling for all cell phone use to be banned in B.C., including the use of hands free devices like headphones and speakers to make calls.
The association's president, Kelowna RCMP Supt. Bill McKinnon says research has shown cell phone use only leaves half of a driver's attention on the road.
Victoria police Chief Jamie Graham says the chiefs' resolution goes further than laws in other provinces that have banned cell phones while driving.
Four provinces currently have bans on drivers using handheld cell phones while behind the wheel; Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Nova Scotia.
B.C. police chiefs hope the solicitor-general will consider implementing the proposed ban.


Okay, I totally understand where they are coming from. These chiefs only want to protect us in this case. But here's the thing, I was driving the road along Kootenay Lake yesterday, and I was driving like an idiot. Why? I was not on my cell, I was searching for songs on my Ipod. Why else? My allergies are out of control and I was sneezing a lot. Have you ever sneezed while driving? You totally lose yourself for a couple seconds if its a big one. So, I think its great cops are all over the scene here with the banning of cell phones, but soooo many other things distract drivers. Are you going to ban ipod and sneezing too? How the hell are you really going to enforce this? Sit and wait at intersections so you can get a clear look at what someone might be doing while in a car. If they are texting, you wont even see a phone, then if you "suspect" they were texting, you pull them over and have a guy deny it? Then how do you give a ticket if you can't prove it? Maybe, education is the answer so drivers can make better choices (ya right I know we are addicted to cell phones).
So, maybe the point of this issue is just to raise awarness in general for people to try and not get distracted with anything. I will take my allergy pills!!

No comments:

Post a Comment