Monday, May 18, 2009

Mad.


So I go for a run along the Annex park trail, having a great time, sun is shining, kids are running around, got my itunes cranked. Really good time. Until this dog incident happened and I ran all the way back to my house fuming mad.

As I came running up to the entrance of the parking lot to Annex park, a stylish couple on reeealllly shiny expensive chopper style bikes start coming my way. As soon as I saw them I profiled them and immediately concluded that by the way they were dressed, by the look of their bikes, the fact that I didn't recognize them and their blank no-passing-by-smile, that they were not from here.
As I was passing the man their dog appeared from no where and ran up to me. I was very startled to see a giant Doberman off-lease coming towards me. I stopped in panic until the dog seemed to sense that I was not interested and it walked by me.
I was pissed. Why? ooohhhhhhhh you totally wanna know don't you?
Well half of me panicked for the families I just passed back down the path that had a 4 year old frolicking around and other small children on bikes. I thought I could bitch these assholes out now, or they are gonna get it down the path from a parent anyway (-and I hope a parent ripped them a new asshole). But before I could decide they had biked well enough down the path for me to just keep going. "Ohhh don't you just have the most stylish fucking bikes to match your edgy dog, to match this image you are trying so hard to achieve, you goddamn narcissists. Ohh you are sooo coool and edgy!! not", I thought to myself.
Here's my thing:
People are generally stupid and sorry if this post offends you. BUT here's my story (remember that I am a major dog lover, if you know me, you know Dewy). When I was 12 years old, I was walking down the street and my lil sister who was a mere and innocent 8 years old was walking about 2 blocks ahead of me. In a split second the neighbour's dog shot across the street, lunged for my sister and sank his teeth into her arm and shoulder. The absolute horror of seeing that is something that brings tears to my eyes still 16 years later. And as for the kind man that was driving his minivan by witnessing the entire thing, screeching to a stop, jumping out in traffic, kicking the dog off her and throwing her into his van, rushing her to the hospital, ya he was disturbed too. How do you think my kid sister felt? What do you think that street sounded and looked like at that moment? HORRIFYING indeed.

The neighbors dog was a German Sheppard. The owners claimed "hes great, "he'd never hurt a fly" "hes never done ANYTHING like this before" "this dog is tame!!". We know this because the neighbor was my mom's best friend...at the time. lol.

In that day the ignorance of that dog owner had sure caused quite a disturbing memory. Every time my beautiful sister wears a dress or tank top, we are reminded of that day and the dog owner's ignorance as the scars cascade down her arm. Having their dog tied up would have prevented my mom from receiving a phone call that her child was screaming for her life in the hospital emergency room. If you are a parent, can you imagine getting that call? My parents for months after struggled with the suggestions they had received to pursue a lawsuit, but because it was my moms best friend, they were left in a very awkward position and in the end, did not go through with it - today they reflect and are regretful they didn't. You can damn well agree that in this day a lawsuit would not be debatable. As a peace offering that owner of the dog offered to replace my sister's $12 shirt that the dog's teeth destroyed. Fuck your fucking shirt offer is what I think now!!!
The horror of that day and experience burns in my stomach. EVERY TIME I see a big dog off leash I think about that day, and I think about people's ignorance.
Now don't give me any fucking bulshit here, I can hear you already, "but our dog is amazing, shes the best, she has never showed violence, hes all love, hes well trained"...yada yada yada.
I get it, the thing is YOU DONT GET IT. That neighbors dog was an ex-RCMP dog. "Extremely well behaved, disciplined and retired" they said. Dogs are animals and animals have instincts, don't fucking kid yourself. Also, you might know your dog well, BUT I DON'T. When your dog runs up and jumps on me while I'm walking down main street, no Im not impressed and yes it frightened me, that's why you offer an awkward smile and say some stupid line like "ohhh hes good". Well that's terrific of you to say, you are trying to feel better about your lack of judgment and consideration for fellow people, but I'm annoyed as fuck and you just ruined my moment. Have some respect you absent-minded jerk!! LEASH!!

I certainly hope and pray the story of my sister NEVER gets repeated here in Fernie, but you know what- its inevitable. Something will happen one day and it wont be till then that we will all look at each other and say, "hmmm, welll duuhhhh that could have been prevented". TIE AND LEASH UP YOUR ANIMAL.

I promise you this, when I see you within city limits with a dog off-leash, I will passive-aggressively sneer at you, I hope I make you uncomfortable enough to at least THINK about it.

Ps. My new neighbor here in Fernie has a huge black mutt thing that they let roam around the neighbourhood. I have watched my shit-zu on a leash scramble and yelp as it nears because she is so scared of it, I have watched it give numerous giant turds to other neighbors groomed lawns and today - today I watched it take a long piss on a row of flowers a cute old lady planted outside her house the day before. But you know what, Im not even gonna go there, Im still mad about the off-leash Doberman.

No comments:

Post a Comment