Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Victory, and reflection.

So it seems, running a negative campaign, ignorance of facts, juvenile bullshit, bullying, smears and fucked-up humor - cant win you an election. Go figure.

After becoming publicly involved in the election as a supporter of Bill Bennett, I learned a few things that I didn't quite expect to. Now now, Im not so naive as to say that I didn't know politics could be so dog-eat-dog and dirty. C'mon I used to work in a newsroom and I used to be a reporter! I love elections! ...But some fundamental differences emerged from this election to me.
One thing I DID expect is to be confronted with differences of opinion because I know where I am, Im in Fernie, NDP territory. Bill has never won the Fernie vote before. So I knew I was going against the grain. I can handle that. What surprised me was that the opposing party's tactics were odd, dirty and disrepectful. I feel some crossed the line. It was a difficult thing to learn about my community that I so blindly beleived was "good people". Watching fellow community members that I had GREAT respect for, involve themselves and publicly support tactics that, to me, were sooooooo juvenile that it was blowing my mind week after week. I have lost sooo soo so much respect for people in this community that I once adored and admired. Im sad about it, truly am. Dont get me wrong, I am not sad they had a differnece of opinon, no no, thats fine, it was the tactics they used that I am shocked and dissapointed with. True colours were shown.
Bill Bennett's victory was the sweeeeeeeeetest victory ever! GodDamn!!!
I contemplated why it felt so good, I think when you struggle to survive and remain classy and true to your values in a campaign this dirty, you are filled with immense pride that doing the right thing paid off. Also, you hope the others learned something from the example you set. For all those who I have lost a great deal of respect for, I hope this is a good life lesson for you. A lesson in how to behave as an adult, how to show humility, how to have respect for fellow people that might have a different opinion then yourself, a respect for the truth and compassion. Your tactics got you nowhere.
Sorry to have this God complex right now, but the people I have worked on Bill's campaign with kept it classy. When I looked around the room at the victory party, I felt so proud and thankful to be surrounded with such competent community members.
We won. We won fair and square. We won without negative bullshit. The win feels extra good!

No comments:

Post a Comment